Re: Getting rid of /boot

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 8:17 AM, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Saturday 05 December 2009 13:52:36 Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
>> > But the point is taken.  There seem to be quite a few posts from folks
>> > that make their lives needlessly complex by mucking with the defaults
>> > and that ends up breaking something downstream.
>>
>> Are you saying that something is "broken downstream" if you don't use LVM?
>> With respect, that is nonsense.
>
> And I was just about to ask what exactly is broken downstream... :-) I've been
> driving several Fedora versions on several machines for several years now with
> a custom-partitioned disks (simple setups, typically just swap, / and /home,
> no LVM or anything such), and nothing "downstream" seemed broken, ever.
>
> AFAICS, it is completely safe to not use LVM if you know you won't be resizing
> partitions afterwards. And life is simpler if the hard drive starts dying or
> something... ;-)

Assuming the LVM or no-LVM decision is not negotiable, perhaps it
would be better to work on improving tools such as system-config-lvm
to abstract less experienced users from the complexity? While s-c-lvm
is functional it has a lot of room for improvement.

One problem in particular I ran into is that if you use s-c-lvm to
create a volume group on a new disk it creates a whole disk volume
group which is still incompatible with anaconda. Since the LVM wiki
recommends creating a partition first I submitted a bug against
s-c-lvm which was summarily closed since it is technically a problem
with anaconda. Now two Fedora releases later I still have to install
with the default /home and map it in manually.

Sorry I'm heading off topic into a rant but I find it frustrating that
there is a compatibility issue between two redhat/fedora applications
that is still a problem a year later. I know it's not a problem many
people will run into but the fact one program does something that
creates an incompatibility with another program from the same
company/group to me should make it important to fix.

Anyway, I'm done, I feel better, now back to our regularly scheduled topic...

Richard