Re: Getting rid of /boot

On Saturday 05 December 2009 13:52:36 Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> > But the point is taken.  There seem to be quite a few posts from folks
> > that make their lives needlessly complex by mucking with the defaults
> > and that ends up breaking something downstream.
>
> Are you saying that something is "broken downstream" if you don't use LVM?
> With respect, that is nonsense.

And I was just about to ask what exactly is broken downstream... :-) I've been
driving several Fedora versions on several machines for several years now with
a custom-partitioned disks (simple setups, typically just swap, / and /home,
no LVM or anything such), and nothing "downstream" seemed broken, ever.

AFAICS, it is completely safe to not use LVM if you know you won't be resizing
partitions afterwards. And life is simpler if the hard drive starts dying or
something... ;-)

Best, :-)
Marko