Re: F12 Lost Gnome Panels

On 12/03/2009 04:33 PM, Beartooth wrote:
	I should perhaps mention that this machine (my #1) got royally,
unbootably bollixed a few days ago, and ended up with a fresh install of
F12 -- into which I began trying to scp /home/btth from #2 -- and messed
that up so that there seem to be several partial copies scattered all
over it in spots, to the point that the hard drive thinks it's
effectively full .... At any rate, "df -h" shows it far fuller than it
ought to be.

This is probably the problem. A partial copy or corrupted .gconf directory. So try this:

-After a reboot at the login screen press Crtl+Alt F2
-Log in text mode with your user acct
-issue the folloing commands
mv .gconf bak.gconf
mv .gconfd bak.gconfd
mv .gnome2 bak.gnome2
mv .gnome2_private bak.gnome2_private

-This is the tactical nuke of gnome config problems. This will force gnome to recreate your gnome configuration on next login -Press Crtl-Alt F1 and you should be back at the GUI login screen, so log in again and see if you have panels. All of your old config settings are stored in th bak. directories so you can selectively copy them over if you have something (like f-spot) that is not easy to just reconfigure.

Hopefully this helps

Will