Re: F12 Lost Gnome Panels

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 15:43:47 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
	[....]
>> On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 11:52:26 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
	[....]
>> > Try restarting gnome-panel (assuming it's Gnome you're using)
>>
>> 	That's what I want all right -- and I am running Gnome. But how
>> do I do it? I can't even seem to get a CLI. Ssh into it from another
>> machine?
>
> Can you hit Ctrl+Alt+F2 (or F3, F4...) to get a terminal?

	I'd've sworn that was one of the things I had tried; but, be that
as it may, I did get a prompt this time.

> If so, you
> can log in there, locally, to issue commands.

	I did that, as user. The only command I could think of at first
was "gnome-panel." That got me lots of options for help, but nothing I
could understand. I tried several likely-sounding ones anyway, but still
got nowhere.

> Some may not be as
> effective without the X environment variables set -- but at worst, if
> you had no work pending, you could kill the gnome-session and see if
> your panels return.  (That's kind of an atomic bomb approach.)

	Hmmmm.... I thought to try "startx" first. That told me X was
running, and what seemed to be the lock to remove. (There was a short
illegible line in there.)

	I tried "rm /tmp/.X0-lock255.255.0" and it seemed to think the
command should end with <...>lock ; I tried that; it wouldn't let me; I
did "su - "  and tried again.

	That seemed to succeed, but "startx" got me a whole bunch of
stuff I couldn't make head nor tail of.

	So I tried the big hammer -- Ctrl-Alt-BS -- though I'm sure I had
before. It did nothing, afaict.

	So I tried "ps ax|grep X" -- and got a couple of numbers, one
obviously the command I had just given. I told it to kill the other. That
put me back (for the umpteenth time today) to a login screen.

	Logging in just put me back into my desert desktop. There are no
hide buttons nor anything else to show it ever heard of a panel -- and,
as I thought, Ctrl-Alt-Fx (for x = 2 - 7) does nothing afaict.

	I should perhaps mention that this machine (my #1) got royally,
unbootably bollixed a few days ago, and ended up with a fresh install of
F12 -- into which I began trying to scp /home/btth from #2 -- and messed
that up so that there seem to be several partial copies scattered all
over it in spots, to the point that the hard drive thinks it's
effectively full .... At any rate, "df -h" shows it far fuller than it
ought to be.

	LATER : after another reboot, leaning hard and long on Ctrl-Alt-
F2 did get me another prompt; I logged in as root -- and am wondering
what to try next ....