Re: OT: Linux Malware is possible? if it is :(

On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 18:55 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 11:07:25 +1030,
>   Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Windows... proving that it's the thought that counts...
>
> Self extracting archives are another great feature. shar files went away
> on unix systems years ago. I have had discussions with people about the sanity
> of using self decrypting archives sent via email. They didn't seem to see
> any problem with typing a password into an unsigned program received via
> email.

Many (many!) years ago I used the exmh mail client, which is a front-end
to MH written in TCL. It was pretty nifty for it's time (the 90's) and
of course being in TCL meant that all sorts of cool hacks could be
played with. One day someone proposed on the list a trick for sending
auto-executable content in a mail message. Even though this was in a
Unix environment, everyone instantly yelled "Are you INSANE?".

Somehow I don't think Microsoft got the memo.

poc