Re: OT: Linux Malware is possible? if it is :(

On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 09:09 -0600, Dave Ihnat wrote:
> Yes, but with qualifications.  The problem with Windows has
> been, and generally is, that the user usually runs with elevated
> privileges--compromise that user, you compromise the entire OS.

Not to mention that with Linux, you generally have to work at something
to make it executable (e.g. some unexpected download that happens in the
background is very unlikely to be able to run as a program, all by
itself).

Compared to Windows, which places very few restrictions against running
programs thrown in its direction.  e.g. Malicious executable files
running in received spam mail because they were falsely declared to be
midi files (they're sent as background music to be played along with a
HTML mail, midi files are supposedly safe so it's supposedly safe to get
the system to automatically handle this supposed midi file, the system
gets passed the file and discovers that its an executable file, the
system does what it normally does to executable files and runs it,
rather than do what it normally does to midi files and fail trying to
play a non-midi with a midi player).  That kind of problem's existed for
years.

Windows... proving that it's the thought that counts...

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.