Re: errors on trying to install latest nvidia driver with F12

On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 10:03 -0700, Greg Woods wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 16:47 +0000, N James Bridge wrote:
>
> > There have now been a couple of replies about nouveau grabbing the
> > graphics card and ways of stopping this. Another method is described on
> > this page: http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-nvidia.html. I
> > had expected that installation from the rpm package would take care of
> > the problem.
>
> There is no way that it can given how things are set up. You can't
> unload the nouveau module, even with root privileges, because it is in
> use. So there is no way that an RPM script can do this either. That
> isn't where the problem is.
As I understand it, the point of changing initramfs as described in the
reference cited above is that it prevents nouveau being loaded on
*future* boots. Presumably the blacklist trick would work similarly if
you edit the grub.conf file. Could not such changes be part of an
installation script? An important point is that the system should
automatically fall back to using nouveau if the nvidia driver doesn't
match the kernel, which often happens when the kernel is updated and the
driver update follows a day or so later. This wasn't a problem with F11
- all that happened was that the desktop effects would stop working
temporarily.

As for why nouveau loads even when the X config is not started, could
it be something to do with the graphical bootloader, plymouth?

--
N James Bridge <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>