Re: errors on trying to install latest nvidia driver with F12

On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 07:27 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 14:11 +0000, N James Bridge wrote:
> > I am hoping someone may be able to throw some light on this.
> >
> > I had (and now have restored) F12 (x86_64) working with the nouveau
> > driver. I have been watching for the nvidia drivers to make it into the
> > RPMfusion repo and they have now done so  and last night I installed the
> > 173 legacy driver (as required for my ancient graphics card!) Result -
> > plymouth intro followed by black screen. I rebooted into level 3 and
> > uninstalled the nvidia drivers and tried again - same result. Following
> > advice I got here previously, I rebooted to level 3, deleted xorg.conf
> > and then ran startx, which worked. However, on closing, I got a string
> > of error messages and then on booting up, the black screen again.
> >
> > Finally, I repeated the above and from the gui (GNOME) made a new user.
> > Since then things have worked normally. Why? It seems more like black
> > magic than IT.
> >
> > I have attached the error log and the default xorg.conf file, for expert
> > perusal. It doesn't mean a whole lot to me.
> >
> > thanks in advance for any comments
> ----
> the error log doesn't seem to track with the xorg.conf file you
> enclosed.
>
> the xorg.conf called for 'nv' but the error log tried to use the
> proprietary nvidia driver.
>
> What is it that you want to do and perhaps we can figure out the best
> course of action
>
> Craig
Ultimately, I want to get the nvidia driver installed, rather than
nouveau. (I have a weakness for desktop effects!) I have had nvidia
drivers working consistently up to F12, without fuss. Previously I
installed fedora N (N=6-11) and then set up the repos, downloaded the
nvidia drivers from RPMfusion or its predecessor and just installed
them. No problems. Now it doesn't work.

The xorg.conf file is what was generated automatically after I deleted
the existing one and after uninstalling the nvidia driver (and its
metapackage, so it is not being pulled back in). The error log generated
was the same for 4 tries - I used diff to check them and they only
differed in the times at which they were written. The first one was
different; then I had the nvidia drivers installed, but the end result
was the same.

There have now been a couple of replies about nouveau grabbing the
graphics card and ways of stopping this. Another method is described on
this page: http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-nvidia.html. I
had expected that installation from the rpm package would take care of
the problem. It is a considerable hurdle for an average user.

--
N James Bridge <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>