Re: Across Lite for F12 32-bit, an i686 vs i386 issue?

On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 10:24 +0000, Mark Knoop wrote:
> At 10:07 on 01 Dec 2009, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > I don't have access to any interesting newspaper crosswords on paper,
> > as I live outside the distribution area of the English-language
> > press. In any case, some NYT clues are impossible without
> > encyclopedic knowledge of American sports teams and personalities, so
> > Google is a requirement "in extremis".
>
> FYI, the Guardian crosswords are free online in a Java applet.
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/crossword

Interesting, they used to be paid (except for a sample) as the NYT ones
still are. I find British plain crosswords are too simple (about the
level of a NYT Monday or Tuesday) and the cryptic crosswords are a
completely different kettle of fish, perfect for when you want your ego
smashed by failing to complete more than a quarter of the answers. I've
become used to the NYT style and like to solve it every day, which I can
usually do, even the fiendish Saturdays.

The NYT also has a Java version. I dislike it, as I dislike all other
Java crosswords out there. For one thing, you can't usually save them
and continue later. For another, they all use different keyboard
conventions and are generally clunky.

Anyway, this is getting way off-topic :-)

poc