Re: Across Lite for F12 32-bit, an i686 vs i386 issue?

On Sun, 2009-11-29 at 08:47 -0800, Joel Gomberg wrote:
> On 11/29/2009 05:41 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > My name is Patrick and I'm a crossword puzzle addict.
> >
> > The NYT publishes its puzzles in Across Lite format, and there's a
> > proprietary app (acrossl) which runs on Linux. Unfortunately it's
> > getting really old and is binary-only. It worked under F11 but now the
> > app gets a segfault on my netbook (though oddly it works fine on my
> > 64-bit desktop, also on F12).
> >
> > Since I'm on the road for 2 months I'm starting to get withdrawal
> > symptoms :-) F12 32-bit code is now compiled for the i686 and both the
> > app and the old compat libraries are i386 (not all of them have been
> > updated for F12). Could this be the problem?
> >
> > I'm also willing to try other Across Lite apps, but I've never come
> > across a free one that was half-way decent.
>
> Hey, Patrick, I feel your pain.  Fortunately, xword is a good open source
> solution.  You can find a Fedora srpm at:
>
> http://www.math.uchicago.edu/~eskin/xword/xword-1.0-4.fc9.src.rpm
>
> Or you can download the source:
>
> http://x-word.org/xword-1.0.tar.gz

Thanks. I'd looked at Xword some time ago and wasn't very impressed at
the time. The latest version is over 3 years old, which is not
encouraging. I guess I don't have any option if I can't get acrossl to
work (I tried it on Wine once but it was flaky, and I can't run a VM on
my netbook :-()

poc