Skype misses webcam on FC12 x86_64

Greetings,

I am running Fedora 12 x86_64 with all the updates as of this morning
installed and I also enabled the Skype repository.

If I install skype 2.0.0.72 via yum, it sees and detects correctly the
webcam (/dev/video). When I press "test" I see myself in the skype
window. but there is no way to make it use audio. It lists several
possible audio in/out devices but none works (this is an ASUS card
with an nVidia on-board chipset for video and audio).

If I download and start the static binary of skype 2.1.something from
the Skype website the opposite happens. Audio is recognized
immediately (I've just done a voice call without problems) but skype
can't use the webcam. It sees the /dev/video just like the rpm version
but when I push the test button nothing happens. There is no error
message on the command line.

A first search online only returned this page:

http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=416921

Right now I have that .so file, but in another location:

rpm -qa | grep v4l
libv4l-0.6.3-1.fc12.x86_64
xorg-x11-drv-v4l-0.2.0-3.fc12.1.x86_64
[root@polaris ~]# rpm -ql libv4l | more
/usr/lib64/libv4l
/usr/lib64/libv4l/ov511-decomp
/usr/lib64/libv4l/ov518-decomp
/usr/lib64/libv4l/v4l1compat.so

and if I try to use it with LD_PRELOAD I get:

ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib64/libv4l/v4l1compat.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

which, I imagine, is due to the fact that the skype static binary I'm
using is 32 bit, not 64.

Since the webcam is working just fine with Cheese, I would appreciate
some feedback before installing something else that could screw things
up. Would installing libv4l-0.6.3-1.fc12.i686 solve the problem above without creating other problems?

If not, were else should I look to gather more info as to what's
causing the webcam problem?

TIA,
		Marco
--
Ninux Day: here's why you too may need your "neighborhood Internet":
http://stop.zona-m.net/node/47