Re: installation through Fedora

Hi,

Fedora; format the partition as fat32
* boot off the DamnSmallLinux floppy; hopefully it has support for USB
* copy the XP installation on the newly-created partition using the USB drive
* boot off the Win98 bootdisk, go to the appropriate directory and start XP
installation (by typing "setup" in the dos prompt, I guess); this should
install XP on the drive
* boot the XP; transfer the Fedora install image to the hard drive using USB
drive
* download and install VirtualBox to XP
* create small Linux virtual guest in VirtualBox; point it to use physical
hard drive for its partitions
* install minimal Fedora as a virtual guest on the rest of the hard drive; try
to put GRUB in the MBR, if possible --- if not, put it on the first sector of
the /boot partition
* boot DamnSmallLinux off a floppy, reinstall GRUB to MBR, configure it to
chainload XP
* boot XP to see if it still works
* boot Fedora to see if it works at all
* adapt Fedora to run on native hardware; clean up the VirtualBox mess
* return the data from the backup

Now, if this procedure fails at any step (and I can bet it will), your
computer is hosed up, and don't expect anyone to help you pick up the pieces.

All in all, I would really consider buying a DVD drive, or going virtual with
XP, or just using Fedora as is (ditch the whole idea of XP). The IFBP method
given above should just discourage you from trying out anything so insane,
except maybe as a proof of concept that it can be done.

I see...
Okay, I guess that does not leave me too many easy options.
Thanks for your help...