f12 sudden crash

OK, I just finished saying in another thread that f12 seemed
very stable, and my system suddenly froze up. The mouse was
still moving on the screen, but nothing else was responsive.
Ctrl-Alt-F2 couldn't get to a terminal, network didn't appear
to be functioning - power cycle was the only option :-(.

No idea how to investigate what happened. There probably was
a lot of network activity at the time of the crash, ethernet
driver problem maybe?

Here's the smolt profile if anything on there strikes
a familiar note:

http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pub_cc89a3ed-40b9-44ad-a5c1-9a5028d65593