Re: Autofs under Fedora-12

Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Mogens Kjaer:
>>> I would have made (after umount /common and removing
>>> the empty folder /common):
>>>
>>> ln -s /net/alfred/common /common
>>>
>>> then autofs does the mounting automatically as soon as you
>>> access the /common folder.
>
> Timothy Murphy:
>> I'm not clear on this.
>> With the autofs setting I have, if it works,
>> the directory is mounted (invisibly) as soon as I try to access it.
>
> Yes, that is what should happen.  I've been doing something just like
> Mogens Kjaer outlined, for many years.

I don't know when the ghost option for automount mounts appeared, but it
is a good thing to enable.  With it enabled automount shows you the
names of of all the mountable directories.  I'm surprised it isn't the
default.  It is darn useful.  To enable just add it to the end of the
repective mount lines in auto.master.

auto.master:
/home	/etc/auto.home --ghost -fstype=nfs4,hard,intr,nodev,nosuid,noatime,nodiratime

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht
If the airwaves belong to the public why does the public only get 3