webcam on eeepc 901

I've gotten F12 installed, as an update from F11, on my eeepc 901, and
so far it's looking really good. thanks to the whole team!

but one thing still isn't really right, and it has been that way ever
since F10, so I'm hoping someone can enlighten me a little...

the webcam works (for some definitions of "works"), but... I can
fire up cheese and see myself on the screen as I move around. it will
take still photos. but when I tell it to record a movie the subwindow
where the video should display goes black for many seconds, then every
once in a while (30 seconds or possibly longer) it will display a
still image, then wait a long while before updating the screen with
another one. if I let it "record" for a minute or two then stop it
and play back, the playback is just like what I saw during recording.

Now, I know this is a low-powered system, but I don't think Asus
would have wasted the money on a webcam if it wasn't possible to use
it on this machine.

so, what experiences have the rest of you had on eeepc with F10/F11/F12?
And does anyone have any suggestions on  how to make it work?

Thanks!

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------
                    The Lord detests the way of the wicked