Re: sound card configuration

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 18:58:56 +0100
François Patte <francois.patte@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Note that I'm running F12 x86_64 so there might be some differences
between your system and mine.

> >> My sound card (Realtek ALC 882 integrated on Asus P5WD2 mobo) is
> >> working but the sound is not clear: a lot of interferences (bzzzz,
> >> criccroc...), so, in piano passages of record, I can ear more
> >> electronic sounds than music....
> >>
> >> Is there a way to have no background noise?

> >  On the fly resampling can lead to artifacts
> > such as you describe.
> >
> > The sound card does the best it can under all circumstances given
> > the input and output.  There really isn't any configuration unless
> > you are using the wrong driver.
>
> I did not install any driver, the sound card was working out of the
> box after install.
>
> How can check this point? And, if necessary, where can I find the good
> driver?

Type the command    aplay -l  .  If it says something like
hda-intel alc882
then you are using the driver that alsa provides for your device.  It
is possible that the driver has an error in it.  To check if the driver
is working properly go into
Applications->Sound & Video->Mixers->Pulseaudio volume control.
Go to the last tab, configuration, and select off from the drop down
list.  Then play some music using alsa directly instead of pulseaudio.
If the noise is still there, it is the driver.  If this isn't present
on your system, you might be able to use   pulseaudio --kill   to
accomplish the same thing.

For instance if you use audio player to play a song from a CD, make
sure that the preference says to use alsa and that the frequency shows
as 44100 while playing.  Alsa too has a simple mixer that is very crude
and so can introduce noise.  By making sure that the sound is playing
at the recorded rate you eliminate any possible resampling.

> > How does it get to the sound card?
>
> This, I don't understand/know. pulseaudio is working. I am a member of
> pulse-rt group.

I thought there might be some intermediate processing before the sound
reached the sound card.

> > Is pulseaudio running?  Have you configured it with pavucontrol?
>
> I don't understand how to configure anything with this: I can only
> modify a level, but how can I know what is the good level?

I think you are thinking of the vu meters.  The application I am
referring to here is the one above used to adjust volume and
configuration.  I meant have you selected it to use the proper output
format, e.g. stereo analog or digital 5.1, etc.

> > Are frame rates consistent throughout?
>
> I don't understand this question!

CDs play at 44100, DVDs at 48000, streaming radio can be many different
rates.  If pulseaudio is running it can only use one rate, say 48000
and everything else has to be resampled to that rate.  So a CD song at
44100 has to be turned into 48000.  This can create noise.  The reason
this has to be done is that most computer sound devices do not do
hardware mixing / resampling, so you can't send them sound streams of
different frame rates.