Re: F12 install - how do you preserve your existing /home directory?

On 11/21/2009 06:30 AM, J. Alex Aycinena wrote:
Hello,

I tried installing F12 using the DVD image on the hard drive. In F11,
I have /home on a physical volume which I want to preserve for the F12
install. When, in the graphical installer, I get to the partitioning
phase, I try to assign the existing PV to a Log Volume with a /home
mount point and anaconda sets the Format check on. In the past I seem
to remember that you could specify whether you wanted it formatted or
not (I could be mistaken there), but I don't see how to do it in F12.
How do I specify that that LogVol should not be formatted? Otherwise,
how can you preserve an existing /home directory without losing all
your data?

Feedback would be appreciated.

Alex

Hi Alex,

Once you enter the 'custom partationing' scheme, there you see all of the disk partitions. There you need to know that which /dev/sda? is your 'home' volume. Which can be dome by going to another VT and firing
# cat /etc/fstab
and then passing the UUID corresponding to the /home to the command like :
findfs UUID=5ea26cf8-c791-4e22-b4ba-18e4d7c6f872
/dev/sda8
Once that is known then switchingh to the VT - 1 where the installation is going on.The same partition can be selected , the EDIT button be clicked, the new pop-up will open where there will be option for like under
http://dailypackage.fedorabook.com/uploads/2008-05-26-fdp1-partitioning-3.png
Now all that needed is
Mount Point : /home
'DO NOT' select "Format as" as you do not need that. Please let me know if any more help needed.

--
Saurabh Sharma
Linux user number: 490644