F12: Won't start X? (was Re: Preup to F12, won't boot)

     Hello,

  Now I have almost the same problem on another computer. Except that
I did not use preupgrate but upgrade via netinstal. The only thing I
know the computers have in common is that they are both Dell and have
flat screns. One is a desktop, the other a laptop.

  After it says "Welcome to Fedora", it prints a number of messages
most of which just say it's starting something. Then it stops and the
screen flickers for a few seconds. The last message is entirely
different on both computers, so I am assuming it is not relevant.

  I don't have access to the desktop computer, but the laptop actually
did boot, and I found out I can press Alt-F2 and then log in in text
mode. After I logged in, it says:

  Can not open display "default display"

  I am assuming its the same with the desktop computer, but can not verify.

  I found earlier threads describing a similar problem with F12 alpha
and beta, but found no solution.

  Any advice?

     Take care
     Oliver