Re: preupgrade disappointment....

Sam Sharpe wrote:
> 2009/11/21 Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>> This is just an FYI, IMHO note.
>>
>> I did a fresh install of F12 on one system without incident.
>>
>> I did a preupgrade of a fully updated F11 system also without incident
>> but not without disappointment.
>>
>> I would have expected that features that are installed by default on a
>> fresh F12 install would also be installed especially when the result is
>> an improved experience.  I found that yum-presto was not installed.  Had
>> I not known that a fresh install had it I may not have known.
>>
>> I just think that when features are installed by default on a fresh
>> install they should also be included in an upgrade.
>>

> I disagree. An upgrade is a "if it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it
> scenario". If I don't have feature X and I upgrade, I don't want it to
> give me X by default.

I could understand that.  Yet, when the default install of the newest
release gets you some features that you didn't know about either.....
It just seems to me that many people don't read what is new, what has
changed, etc.  I just think that if a feature was considered important
enough to make it a default in a fresh release it should be important
enough to install in an upgrade.

Seems to me to be a pity that upgraded users may not be getting the same
experience as the fresh install users....and may never even discover the
reason why...and may install another distro and decide the other one is
"better".
> If it says "hey, you've now got Fedora X+1 and it has some great
> features like YYYYY and ZZZZZ that you are currently missing out on -
> would you like to enable them?" then that's a different proposition...

Reasonable compromise....

I suppose a list of new features could be displayed at the end of the
preupgrade in a check-box array.

"These are new default apps/settings with FXX....un-check the box if you
do not desire a given feature...."

--
It's always darkest just before it gets pitch black. Guess Who!
http://tinyurl.com/mc4xe7