Re: shrink logical volume group allowing size increase of boot partition

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 15:43:04 -0500, Tony Nelson wrote:

> On 09-11-19 14:40:49, Andrew Hall wrote:
>> Now that my F11 boot partition is no longer big enough to preupgrade to
>> F12...
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F12_bugs#preupgrade-boot
>>
>> ...I'd like to increase its size.
>>
>> To do this I'll need to resize my root partition which is LVM.
>>
>> system-config-lvm will only allow me to resize the logical volumes
>> rather than the volume group itself.
>>
>> gparted will not work with LVM.
>>
>> How can I achieve this ?
>
> The simplest way is to copy your data elsewhere, delete the LVM
> partition, change or recreate the /boot partition, and so on.  Also make
> a backup (have /2/ copies of your data).  (I have two partitions on
> different disks and ping / pong between them, so I'll be doing something
> similar.)
>
> It is unfortunate that parted / gparted cannot handle LVM.
>
> Alternatively, if you remove all unused stuff from /boot, including any
> failed attempts at preupgrade, and have a (wired) Ethernet connection
> available at boot time, preupgrade should be able to download the stage2
> stuff when it needs it.  Sort of like a Net Install, but most of it is
> already downloaded.  People have reported doing this with 100 MB /boot.

You try taking a look at clonezilla - it does partition level backups, but
I believe can resize on restore.  It handles LVM as well.  I've used it
before but mainly when replacing drives in my laptop.  Backups can be
to USB drives, over ssh to another machine.

Also is pvresize an option ?  Shrink a Logical volume - the one taking up
space at the end of Physical volume, then shrink the physical volume
pvresize, the shrink the partition with gparted/parted.  Just a theory ?