Re: shrink logical volume group allowing size increase of boot partition

On 09-11-19 14:40:49, Andrew Hall wrote:
> Now that my F11 boot partition is no longer big enough to preupgrade
> to F12...
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F12_bugs#preupgrade-boot
>
> ...I'd like to increase its size.
>
> To do this I'll need to resize my root partition which is LVM.
>
> system-config-lvm will only allow me to resize the logical volumes
> rather than the volume group itself.
>
> gparted will not work with LVM.
>
> How can I achieve this ?

The simplest way is to copy your data elsewhere, delete the LVM
partition, change or recreate the /boot partition, and so on.  Also
make a backup (have /2/ copies of your data).  (I have two partitions
on different disks and ping / pong between them, so I'll be doing
something similar.)

It is unfortunate that parted / gparted cannot handle LVM.

Alternatively, if you remove all unused stuff from /boot, including any
failed attempts at preupgrade, and have a (wired) Ethernet connection
available at boot time, preupgrade should be able to download the
stage2 stuff when it needs it.  Sort of like a Net Install, but most of
it is already downloaded.  People have reported doing this with 100
MB /boot.