Re: F12 upgrade needs more space for /mnt/sysimage/boot

On Wed, 2009-11-18 at 00:56 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 01:39:44 -0500
> Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>
> > You have run out of space before getting to the anaconda kernel and
> > initrd.  Check /boot for a preupgrade directory.  It needs to copy a few
> > things into it (like the anaconda kernel and initrd, but also a
> > kickstart file, and some other things).  If there is no room for the
> > necessary items, you are out of luck.
>
> That's the problem.  I'm 1.5mb short, according to preupgrade.

You can remove a program that takes up little space (~1.5Mb) so it won't
be upgraded, saving space for finishing your upgrade. Then you install
it again...does it make sense?

Germán.

> > Have you tried Germán's suggestion of removing unneeded F11 kernels?
>
> I have removed all but one F11 kernel (rpm -e kernel-whatever-whatever) so
> there's only one left.  And as I said before, I don't see where I can remove
> anything else to gain that 1.5mb and still have a kernel that my computer can
> boot.
>
> > The Achilles's heel of preupgrade is the amount of free space in your
> > /boot partition.
>
> Indeed.  I really don't get it, because I initially formatted that computer
> with the F10 rawhide a month or so before the F10 release.  And I used the
> default disk partitioning that the installer suggested.
> Kinda ironic, since
>
> > Can you resize your
> > partitions such that /boot has more space?
>
> I have no idea how to do that.   Again, I just used the default F10
> partitioning scheme and it's seemed to be working fine up to this point.
>

> --

Germán A. Racca
National Institute for Space Research (INPE)
São José dos Campos - SP - Brasil
http://gracca.wordpress.com
http://tinyurl.com/SkyTux