Re: F12 upgrade needs more space for /mnt/sysimage/boot

On 11/18/2009 01:56 AM, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 01:39:44 -0500
> Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>> Can you resize your
>> partitions such that /boot has more space?
>
> I have no idea how to do that.   Again, I just used the default F10
> partitioning scheme and it's seemed to be working fine up to this point.

Without knowing *what* your partitions are, I can't say for sure.

If you have an LVM partition, you could try re-sizing it to a smaller
size, and use the regained space as a new /boot.  It might be a little
tricky, especially if /boot is *not* an LVM partition.  Especially if
you are already using 4 primary partitions and have no extended partition.

I haven't actually resized any of my partitions without adding a new
disk drive.  But, that was to solve problems with my "other" partitions
filling up, not /boot.

My laptop has no /boot partition.  This machine originally came with FC6
installed on it.

My home server used to have a /boot partition, but I deleted it (after
copying its contents into the / partition) during an F8->F10 upgrade.  I
also moved from a 250GB main drive to a 500GB main drive with the 250GB
as a secondary drive.  (This was a nightmare as I've lost 3 IDE drives
to disk failures on this motherboard, but my SATA drives run just fine.)

I also have a test machine (now running F12) with a 100MB /boot
partition.  I was able to boot the anaconda kernel over the network when
I did the preupgrade from F11 to F12.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx