Re: F12 upgrade needs more space for /mnt/sysimage/boot

On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 23:03 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 23:27:22 -0500
> Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>
> > I stared at the error for almost 3 minutes before I realized that it was
> > allowing me the option to do the download at boot time and continued on
> > to the package download.
>
> It doesn't for me.  I have exactly this problem trying to run preupgrade on my
> Acer Aspire One.  It goes through the whole production, downloads everything
> and at the end it tells me that I need 1.5mb more space in /boot.  My only
> options at that point are "check again" and "quit".  If I quit, it's game
> over.  Running preupgrade after that tells me that everything is ready,
> reboot.  If I do so, grub takes me right back into Fedora 11.  The only entry
> in grub.conf is the single kernel that I have left on that machine; there's
> nothing else that I can see that I could remove from /boot to gain 1.5mb.
>
> I can go through the whole (multi-hour) process again by
>
> rm -fr /var/cache/yum/preupgrade*
>
> Then preupgrade will ask me if I want to start upgrading and go through the
> whole process again, up to where it tells me that I am 1.5mb short of space
> in /boot and "check again" or "quit".
>
> I have done this three times today with exactly the same result.  I read
> someone here stating that a wired connection requires less space in /boot for
> some reason, so I just finished running the process on a wired connection to my
> Acer Aspire One (the previous two attempts were on the wireless connection),
> but I got exactly the same result.
>
> I'm really at a loss for where to go from here in order to upgrade that machine
> to Fedora 12.  I can't even download a netboot disk and upgrade from that
> because that machine has no drives and setting up a Fedora Live image on a USB
> flash drive won't allow me to run an upgrade (as far as I'm aware, anyway).
>
> --

I did the following. Before starting with preupgrade, I removed all but
the last F11 kernel (this to save space on /boot). But nevertheless,
after reboot it said that it needed 0MB of space. Here I did what
someone said in a post some minutes earlier: I moved
System-map-{kernel-version}, config-{kernel-version} and the efi
directory onto / to free more space on /boot and then tried again. This
time it completed the upgrade successfully.

Germán.

--
Germán A. Racca
National Institute for Space Research (INPE)