Re: Compiling a i386 kernel on a x64 system.

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 10:19 AM, Michael D. Setzer II <mikes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
An earlier message stated that this can be done, but it doesn't seem to work
on my system, so perhaps I am missing something.

I use the kernel.org source code, and copy the same .config file I use on the
i386 machine. If I run make menuconfig or just make, it prompts for
processor, and only give x86 options..

The new phenom II 955 system can build a kernel in about 12 minutes
versus the 2 hours of the other system, so being able to build with the new
system would be a real advantage.

The i386 has Fedora 10, and the x64 has Fedora 11.

Perhaps something else needs to be installed, or some option.

Use mock. Otherwise, it will be very difficult to accomplish what you want.
This is the simplest way of isolating your build from all of the 64 bit stuff
installed on your system.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ