Re: unexpected logout

Dj YB wrote:
On Friday November 13 2009 02:44:54 suvayu ali wrote:
2009/11/12 Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
Ed Greshko wrote:
Yes, it is due to the extension and the way it is treated by MIME....but
that's another story.....

What is normally recommended is that you run memtest86+.  First you have
to install it as it isn't installed by default.  Then, AFAIK, the best
way to run it is standalone.  Meaning from boot.  As an example, I have
the following in my /boot/grub.conf file.

title Memtest86+
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /memtest86+-2.11 ro root=/dev/mapper/vg_f11-lv_root rhgb
quiet

Also, I have

timeout=8
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu

to ensure I can get to select what I want....  :-)

Since the problem is intermittent, you should leave it running for an
extended period.

Ed
The other option I forgot to mention is to download the bootable CD
image from http://www.memtest86.com/ and boot from the CD that you burn.
... or just boot with a Fedora CD or DVD and select memtest in in the
boot options menu. :)

thanks
but how much time should I wait?
could there be another explanation?
I will run this test now and get back to you after it is done
cheers
YB.

How frequently was the error occurring? I would wait at least twice that long if memtest doesn't report any errors. The computer will be off line for that period. That's why I just replace the memory cards. I can put the computer is back in service. If the error returns after that, I am no worse off than before, but then I can decide whether to replace the box or take the time to do further troubleshooting.

Make sure you run the test under the same conditions as the computer normally operates, covers on, in the rack, etc. Memory is very sensitive to a number of environmental and functional variations, including temperature, write/read sequencing and even address sequences. Testing it on the bench with the covers off will change those conditions significantly.

Many years ago there were articles published about how to create schmoo test patterns to detect errors that only occurred with specific densities of '1' bits in sections of the die. Each test was specific to one particular memory chip. Now that the manufacturing processes have matured, I believe that class of tests is only used in production prior to cutting the chips the from the wafer. However, memtest probably includes some of those tests.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP