Re: unexpected logout

Dj YB wrote:

>> The point being made it that it is quite unlikely that a conventional,
>> controlled logout has occurred.   Chances are good that the X server
>> crashed or gdm crashed.  Those things that crash will not bring down the
>> system but they will get restarted and present you with a login screen.
>> This may lead you to conclude something logged you out.
>>
>> Did you check the log as Tim suggested?
>>

> yes, I didn't understand much
> what should i look for?

I haven't had an X crash in several years....  However, each time the X
server is started a new Xorg.0.log is started and the previous one is
moved to Xorg.0.log.old.  So, any errors logged at the time of the crash
would be in Xorg.0.log.old.

So, have a look in that file and see if anything pops out at you.  If
not, then consider posting the last 50 lines or so.

FWIW, in my case there was nothing ever recorded in any log file.  I
don't recall what finally lead me to replace the power supply...but it
wasn't my first move by any means.

--
The Gordian Maxim: If a string has one end, it has another. Guess Who!
http://tinyurl.com/mc4xe7