Re: new install, Firewall, anti-virus?

On Wed, 2009-11-11 at 00:15 +0000, Jim Douglas wrote:
> I just trashed Windows 7 and installed FC11 but before I connect to
> the internet how best could I protect the machine?
>
> Is the firewall up and running by default effective? It's a home
> machine but I plan on adding a web server.

Yes, it's on by default. Use system-config-firewall to configure.

> What is the best anti-virus?

Why would you want an antivirus for a home machine? If you're running a
mail server then OK, you can use Clam to protect your Windows users, but
otherwise most people don't bother. There are supposed to be some Linux
viruses out there (mainly as proof-of-concept I suspect), but I've never
seen a single one in 15 years of daily use. As long as you use root
privileges only for admin tasks, it's not something you need to worry
about.

Welcome to the New World :-)

poc