Re: Initializing hardware (new problem)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Patrick O'Callaghan" <pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 09, 2009 9:38 PM
Subject: Re: Initializing hardware

Fedora 12 has not been released yet (though it will be very soon). What
you're trying is one of the prerelease versions. These are discussed on
fedora-test-list.

I knew it was a prerelease but simply assumed everyone on this list would know that.

If you're uncertain, wait a few days for the official release, then try
the LiveCD version to make sure your hardware is supported. If all goes
well then either install from the LiveCD or the full DVD.

I forgot that I could install from the LiveCD so I stuck that CD in. Everything seemed to be going well until I got to the point of partitioning. The LiveCD wouldn't let me format the /boot and / partitions as ext3...it forced a ext4 format. I went back and tried the regular CDs using the ext4 filesystem. I still got the same error msg and went back to the LiveCD. The installation went perfectly. After all was set and done I booted into Fedora. When I got to the Login I tried to login as root and got an "Authentication Failure" message. In other words, it wouldn't let me log in as root (yes I used the correct password). It would only allow me to log in as a user. I know I can use 'su' to switch. I can't think of a specific situation at the moment as to why but I would like the ability to log in as root.

Robt C Parrish Sr
Linux Newbie