Re: [OT] run command via ssh - problem

Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
On Wed, 2009-11-04 at 13:32 +0000, Dan Track wrote:
Hi Bryn,

Many thanks. I tried hostname -s but I keep getting the following:

hostname: Host name lookup failure

Possibly your resolver on the servers is not configured to search its
own local domain. Add a line like this to /etc/resolv.conf:

search mylocaldomain.com

Or, if you configure the resolver via dhcp add a directive on the server
to pass this over to clients.

This may be because the hostname's are short already e.g just
"server1" instead of "server1.example.com"

I've updated teh script to your recommendations but I still get the
local hosts hostname in teh output instead of the remote servers
hostname. Any other thoughts?

I now run the following:

for i in server1 server2;do ssh root@$i "DNSNAME=$(basename
$(hostname)$);echo $DNSNAME";done

You need to use single quotes instead of double quotes - see the rules
in the bash man page about quote expansion. A single quoted string is
not subject to any expansion by the shell on the client machine but a
double quoted string will be expanded on the client before the ssh
command is executed.

$ ssh abox 'DNSNAME=$(basename $(hostname));echo $DNSNAME'
abox.example.com

I still don't think that basename will do what you want here...

It's not quotes, it's the backtick.  Don't backtick the command, just

	for i in server1 server2; do ssh root@$i hostname; done

Example:

	[root@prophead ~]# for i in bigdog golem3; do ssh root@$i hostname; done
	bigdog.hci.com
	golem3.hci.com

In the OP's case, the backtick is being invoked and therefore the host
name is being passed as the command to execute on the remote machine:

[root@prophead ~]# for i in bigdog golem3; do ssh root@$i "`hostname`"; done
	bash: prophead.hci.com: command not found
	bash: prophead.hci.com: command not found

See?