Re: [OT] run command via ssh - problem

On Wed, 2009-11-04 at 13:13 +0000, Dan Track wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 1:10 PM, Dan Track <dan.track@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm running a command like this:
> >
> > for i in server1 server2;do ssh root@$i "`hostname`";done.
> >
> > However the hostname command always outputs the hostname of the server
> > that the above command is run from. I'd like to know how to run this
> > hostname command so that it actually runs on server 1, server2 etc..
> >
> > Thanks
> > Dan
> >

> Sorry just to add the actual script was like this:
>
> for i in server1 server2;do ssh root@$i "DNSNAME=\"basename
> \`hostname\`\";echo $DNSNAME";done

Not sure why you're setting a variable here but to have "basename" run
as a command and assign the output to DNSNAME you need to have basename
inside a pair of backticks too.

You'll then hit another problem because you want to have nested
backticks (one pair for basename and another for hostname). Bash
supports '$()' as an alternative to backticks that does allow nesting -
writing $(hostname) is equivalent to `hostname` and allows you to write
$(basename $(hostname)).

I'm not sure basename is going to do what you want here though - are you
looking for the short host name or the domain name? The basename command
separates components of a path based on the '/' (or whatever the system
defined path separator is). E.g.:

$ DNS=$(basename $(hostname))
$ echo $DNS
breeves.fab.redhat.com

If you just want the short hostname you can pass -s to hostname:

$ ssh pe1950-1.gsslab hostname -s
pe1950-1

Or the domain with -d:

$ ssh pe1950-1.gsslab hostname -d
gsslab.fab.redhat.com

Have a look at the man page for hostname for more options.

Regards,
Bryn.