Re: Fedora PPC for oldworld Mac?

On 09-10-28 15:02:25, Gianluca Sforna wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Tony Nelson
> <tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > No.  I saw nothing that indicated support for oldworld Macs -- "if
> > you can persuade them to boot they probably ought to work" shows
> > they haven't been tried and that I would have a hard time in any
> > case, and on PenguinPPC.org, I found a table [2] saying only
> > newworld for Fedora.
>
> Ah sorry, I completely missed the new/old world distinction;

Aha!  It's the only reason to think Fedora wouldn't work.

> thanks for the pointers.

You're welcome.

> > Now back to my question.  Have /you/ installed a recent Fedora on
> > an oldworld PCI Mac?  Or do you know of anyone who has?
>
> I don't owe any Mac hardware (I'd probably add "unfortunately"...),

I stopped buying Macs 10 years ago, when NeXT took over Apple and
replaced MacOS with NextStep, calling it MacOSX, so I can't agree.

> but I think there are developers with different kind of PPC macs
> around in fedora-devel.

I'll bug them instead.

> However, from the wiki link you gave, I also suspect there could be
> no significant userbase among them for those oldworld macs, otherwise
> the text would be more encouraging.

It's 10 years old!  Two years older than my PC.  I just don't need it
much as a Mac anymore.

> On the flip side, it looks like the wiki page is quite old, and the
> text seems to indicate the real problem is how to start the
> installation (yes, this is entirely my own speculation...) so at
> least you have some pointers to work on...

Yes.  Clearly I'll start with Debian, which claims to work and has more
instructions, and if it boots the installer I might possibly try
Fedora.