Re: fc-11 on IBM e server

On Sun, 2009-10-25 at 09:05 -0400, kevin graff wrote:
> Hello
>      I have an IBM e-server x-series 335 with 2 xeon 2.6 GHz and 1 Gig
> of ram.

Can you post the complete configuration of the machine?
(CPU model, etc)

> It uses a built in raid controller I have set up as a Raid 1 with 2 36
> GIG hard drives. If I try to install using 64 bit version it tells me
> that there are know 64 bit CPU and to use other version if I install
> 32 bit version with the ACPI=off I can get it to install but it locks
> up all the time. Most time I get a CPU 1 not responding error also
> when I check the hardware it reports back 2 cpu I would have thought
> that it should have shown 4 cpus since I have 2 dual core cpus running
> hyper threading.

You sure you have dual core CPUs and not two single core / HT capable P4
Xeon CPUs (hence the lack of x86_64 support)?

> The severe is an old one and the problem could be in the hardware, I
> have been using Fedora since core 1 and never ran into so much trouble
> dose any one have any experience install fedora on this server?

You best bet is to download CentOS 5.4 i386 DVD and see if it works.
If it doesn't, you're looking at a hardware issue.
If it does, you'll have to connect your machine via serial cable to
another machine so you could post the complete kernel boot log.

- Gilboa