Re: Qemu vs VMWare

On Sunday 25 October 2009 21:57:18 David Timms wrote:
> On 10/26/2009 08:05 AM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > I wish to share my first hands-on experience with qemu, compare it to
> > vmware player
>
> For comparison, try yum install akmod-VirtualBox-OSE from rpm fusion.

I will, eventually. That is the plan, after I evaluate qemu.

> Usually the guest is improved by running a vm specific set of tools, eg
> that does mouse/keyboard/clipboard/network share/clock/timing
> improvements under that particular vm host

Yes, and vmware offered to install this set of tools, and I accepted (I've been
using vmware for some time now, so am familiar with this). But I haven't seen
any instructions in qemu documentation that some equivalent set of tools is
available for me to install when I create a qemu vm. Did I miss it?

> Did you install that guest from scratch ?

Yes, in both cases.

> > (2) When resizing the guest console window, qemu rescales the guest
> > output, while vmware resizes guest screen resolution to match the window
> > size. The latter looks far more pretty.
>
> Part of tools. If you don't have vmware-tools installed, you don't get
> this. Probably similar for qemu ?

If these tools for qemu exist, then maybe that could be the answer to all my
questions. But as I say, I failed to see any mention of such tools in the qemu
docs. If you could point me to a package to install into a qemu guest, it
would probably be a more fair comparison against vmware. But where are those
tools?

> > Also, I think I should mention that my processor does not have the vmx
> > bit, I have no option in the host bios to enable it, so I guess both qemu
> > and vmware work in all-software emulation. But that doesn't explain such
> > a big difference in performance. Btw, this is all on Intel Core 2 Duo 1.5
> > GHz, 2GB of ram, each guest has one processor and 512 MB ram allocated.
> > They don't run simultaneously, of course. I didn't notice any memory
> > swapping activity.
>
> cat /proc/cpuinfo
> will tell you what to your CPU and kernel combination has.

[root@Yoda ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 15
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T5250  @ 1.50GHz
stepping        : 13
cpu MHz         : 1500.000
cache size      : 2048 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 2
apicid          : 0
initial apicid  : 0
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm
constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl pni monitor ds_cpl est tm2
ssse3 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips        : 2992.47
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

(There is also another one, same as this.) There is no vmx flag, AFAICS. Maybe
under a different name? Also, I did look into the bios to enable it, but could
not find any even remotely relevant setting there.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_virtualization#Hardware_support
> I would be surprised if the duo doesn't have vt support.

Ok, my core 2 duo is T5250 (as listed above in /proc/cpuinfo), and it is *not*
on the wikipedia list of processors which support VT-x. So it really seems I
don't have hardware virtualization support. Btw, this is on a laptop, I have
no way of upgrading hardware.

But hardware virtualization is absent for both qemu and vmware, and it seems
vmware runs the quest at almost native speed (at least the guest user
interface feels like it), while qemu feels much much slower. If there is an
equivalent of vmware-tools for qemu, I'd be happy to know about it.

Best, :-)
Marko