Re: Qemu vs VMWare

On 10/26/2009 08:05 AM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
I wish to share my first hands-on experience with qemu, compare it to vmware
player, and (since I'm highly disappointed with the performance difference) ask
is there anything that can be done configuration-wise to improve the user
experience under qemu.
For comparison, try yum install akmod-VirtualBox-OSE from rpm fusion.

(1) Windows XP guest under qemu appears to be an order-of-magnitude slower
than equivalent vmware guest. I haven't measured precisely, but by counting
the seconds for the same operation (open a window or such), qemu appears to be
roughly 10 times slower! Why is it *that* bad?
Usually the guest is improved by running a vm specific set of tools, eg that does mouse/keyboard/clipboard/network share/clock/timing improvements under that particular vm host

Did you install that guest from scratch ?

(2) When resizing the guest console window, qemu rescales the guest output,
while vmware resizes guest screen resolution to match the window size. The
latter looks far more pretty.
Part of tools. If you don't have vmware-tools installed, you don't get this. Probably similar for qemu ?

Also, I think I should mention that my processor does not have the vmx bit, I
have no option in the host bios to enable it, so I guess both qemu and vmware
work in all-software emulation. But that doesn't explain such a big difference
in performance. Btw, this is all on Intel Core 2 Duo 1.5 GHz, 2GB of ram, each
guest has one processor and 512 MB ram allocated. They don't run
simultaneously, of course. I didn't notice any memory swapping activity.
cat /proc/cpuinfo
will tell you what to your CPU and kernel combination has.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_virtualization#Hardware_support
I would be surprised if the duo doesn't have vt support.

DaveT.