Re: Fedora 10 auto mounting

2009/10/25 Rod Rook <rod.rook@xxxxxxxxx>:

> On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Ryan Lynch <ryan.b.lynch@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 16:41, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:

>> > Is this not what fstab allows you to do?
>>
>> Aaron,
>>
>> The OP mentioned "automount" in the subject line. I assume that he
>> wants to use the automounter because he doesn't want to have to create
>> a separate /etc/fstab entry for every single current and future
>> device. As far as I know, '/etc/fstab' can't help with this.
>>
>> Does that sound right, Rod?
>>
>> As for how to actually configure the automounter: No idea, sorry.
>>
>> -Ryan
>>

> Yes, you are right, Ryan.
> If I knew the name of the program that auto-mounts the hard drives, I could
> do some research on that.
>
> Do you have any idea?

I think HAL does the auto-mounting although there are several
front-ends like gnome-mount/gnome-umount for Gnome or thunar-volman
for XFCE, ( I also like gigolo in XFCE, very useful for remote
folders) I haven't fooled around with any of these though. I have used
all of them just with the default configurations and most of the time
they have "just worked" (TM).

If you intend to poke around with HAL, you might want to also look
into Device-Kit ( I maybe wrong about the name, but its something
similar) as this is going to replace HAL F-12 onwards.

GL
--
Suvayu