Re: sound recording with Fedora 11

Kevin Kempter wrote:

> He wants to record some of his band sessions, we tried using 'sound recorder'
> and plugging the output of his mixer into the mic input on the laptop.
>
> It does record but the sound is fuzzy and to say it was poor quality would be
> an over-estimate, since it's there but barely audible.

no reply as trying to use 'line input', or even if you have such, so i am
going to do some presuming.

after a good nights rest and a lot of thinking before and after, there are
several ways that you may get quality sound as you would like.

as i said before, it has been a while from last working in audio field.

this was primarily design, installation, and service of equipment use in
recording studios, school and public auditoriums, gymnasiums, churches,
and other places where top quality full fidelity sound was required. i also
did many custom home systems for homes that had rooms for such.

some of equipment used was altec lansing, ampex, garrard, langiven, philips,
recocut, sienhouser, and several others that i do not recall.

in working with these systems, there where times that i had to do circuit
designing. including rlc filters, calculating of passive resistive padding,
many of which, luckily, were from charts and tables.

all of my manuals are now stored in boxes, including my altec acostavoice
manual which holds many of basic circuit/system design and formulas that
i used.

so, it is a little slow going looking for information thru google. google
produces a lot of hits, and a whole lot to go thru for what i want.

your problem with 'fuzzy' sound, as mentioned before, is more of a problem
with impedance mismatch and excess signal level. 'fuzzy' is a common sound
description when clipping is produced, and other wave form distortion.

if you do have a 'line input' use it. also, cut back on gain level of mixers
master gain control. 1/2 to 1/4 of normal setting is a good place to start.

in a 'normal' operation, mixer inputs and driver amps are preset to a level
and mixer *master* is used to control over all level with some slight input
level adjusting.

in feeding to computer, use level control of software for sound chip to do
your level control after you have mixer's channel inputs set.

if you have dual line outputs and you want to feed both computer recording
and driver amps for monitoring, set mixer master to a low level and adjust
level controls on amps to desired.

this can be a problem, as it may require frequent adjusting of driver amps.
this can be worked around by using a 'bridging' preamp connected to output
of mixer to split signal to driver amps and computer and all be controlled
from one place.

i worked up a simple layout of how this would work using 'xcircuit' and
put a snapshot on imagebin, circuit is; http://imagebin.org/69042 for
next 7 days.

there is another way of doing this using a resistive divider network in
line out of mixer between input for amps and computer audio input. it
would require a variable attenuator for amp line.

if you want, i can work you up a circuit, with values for divider, but i
recommend using a commercial made balanced bridged-t attenuator.

hth.

--

peace out.

tc,hago.