Sporadic Sound Issues in Fedora 10

Hello,

I am on Fedora 10 x86_64, use KDE, and have had sporadic sound issues for quite some time.

The motherboard is an MSI M-7368 using the onboard sound controller. It is an ATI 690 chipset. There are two outputs: and HDMI and and an analog jack. I use analog audio jack. This is the HDA ATI SB (ALC888 Analog).

I have PulseAudio installed. Sometimes it works but usually I receive a system notifcation from phonon that PulseAudio Does Not Work, falling back to HD ATI SB. In these cases, the system continues to produce sound and I can listen to music, watch videos, etc. However, sometimes, this fails too. In which case I get the Phonon message that HD ATI SB doesn't work, falling back to HDA HDMI. Since I don't have an HDMI connection to this PC, this leaves me without sound.

Output of alsa-info is here: http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=c959788737911611207b7493cae2fb99a7cfe2c2

In a failed state, if I run "ps -e|grep pulse" there are no processes for PulseAudio running. If I then manually try to run 'pulseaudio", the output is:

pulseaudio
I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
I: caps.c: Dropping root privileges.
I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
W: pid.c: Stale PID file, overwriting.
E: alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hw:0: Device or resource busy
E: module.c: Failed to load module "module-alsa-sink" (argument: "device_id=0 sink_name=alsa_output.pci_1002_4383_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0 tsched=1"): initialization failed.
N: module-alsa-source.c: Increasing wakeup watermark to 40.00 ms
N: module-alsa-source.c: Increasing wakeup watermark to 80.00 ms
N: module-alsa-source.c: Increasing wakeup watermark to 160.00 ms
N: module-alsa-source.c: Increasing wakeup watermark to 320.00 ms
N: module-alsa-source.c: Increasing wakeup watermark to 368.53 ms
Soft CPU time limit exhausted, terminating.
Hard CPU time limit exhausted, terminating forcibly.
Aborted

The only way I have found to restore sound is to reboot. Sometimes it works, sometimes I must reboot again. Eventually, sound will be restored. Sometimes it lasts for a while (days/weeks) before failure. Other times, it fails within minutes.

Thank you for any help

Law