Re: Strange behavior with PS1 prompt

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 18:16, Todd Zullinger <tmz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Donald Russell wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 11:36, Petrus de Calguarium <kwhiskerz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Donald Russell wrote:
>>
>>> Any ideas/suggestions?
>>
>> None, except to report the bug.
>>
>> I have noticed this problem on and off for years and it doesn't
>> have anything to do with the PS1 prompt. Try entering nothing on
>> the command line, then use the up and down arrows, and eventually
>> your prompt will pick up some stuff from a previous command,
>> although, if you press the backspace, you will see that the input
>> mark is as far left as it can go.
>
> OK, thanks... I really only noticed this after putting newlines etc in
> my PS1 prompt, or at least it got more bothersome then.
>
> I'll file a bug against bash...

I don't think this is a bug.  Rather, I think the problem is caused by
not escaping the color codes you have embedded in your prompt.  Try
this instead:

export PS1="\n\[\033[0;35m\][\u@\h] ${PWD}\n$\[\033[0m\]"

The \[ and \] begin and end a series of non-printable characters.
This tells bash not to count those characters when determining the
length of the prompt.  So the color escape sequences are wrapped in \[
and \].

That makes sense since this problem really only started showing up regularly when I changed my PS1 prompt to use color.

Thank you. :-)