Re: GPT Partition Deletion - HELP

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 04:00:59PM +0100, Dan Track wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How can I delete a GPT partition upon installation. Basically
> everytime I install the OS I keep getting the following:
>
> Filesystem type unknowm, partition type 0xee
> kernel /vmlinuz.2.6.18-128.el5 ro root=LABEL=/
>
> error 17: Cannot mount selected partition
>
> Press any key to continue
>

> Any ideas on this please, as I think it is related to GPT.

It is related to GPT.  You have a GPT partition table on the disk,
which has a "Protective MBR" entry of type 0xee which covers the whole
disk, which prevents non-gpt-aware partition editing tools from
monkeying with it.  If you delete the 0xee partition, and then create
another partition, you'll wind up overwriting the whole GPT partition
table and all the contents it refers to.

You appear to be installing RHEL5.  Is this an anaconda-generated
error message?  Do you really intend to completely wipe the contents
of this disk and install fresh?  If so, before you get to this screen,
drop to Alt-F2, and erase the first few and last few MB on the disk,
before proceeding back within the installer.  Or boot a Fedora LiveCD
and use that as your environment to erase the first and last few MB of
the disk.

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist, Dell Office of the CTO