Re: input/output error on disk(?)

On 09-10-15 21:27:50, charles zeitler wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 4:51 PM, Tony Nelson
> <tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 09-10-15 16:28:03, charles zeitler wrote:
> >> thanks for the info.
> >>

> well, the results are in.
>
> the  "Self-test execution status" says that
> "the read element of the test failed".
>
> later, it shows:
> Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining
> # 1  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       90%
>
> LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
>     7091         686876074
>
> Current_Pending_Sector & Reallocated_Event_Count
> are unchanged. ( but Offline_Uncorrectable reads at 12 ).
>
> does this mean i have 90% unchecked? and 12 uncorrectable blocks?

Yes, it seems to have given up at 12 blocks.  The trick is to find what
files those are and deal with them, so that the test can be run again
to see what else it might find.  Once the damaged files are found, you
can decide whether to recover them, restore them from backup or some
other source, or just delete them.

I don't know of anything specifically intended to find the damaged
files.  e2fsck will map out bad blocks, but doesn't (AFAIK) tell one
which files are damaged.  I think tar can be used to find such files,
but I'm not sure.  As you know of one file that has a problem, I
suggest trying this command on the directory which contains that file:

    # tar -cf - --ignore-failed-read /path/to/bad/file's/dir >/dev/null

Possibly -v will also be needed.  In that case, the full scan should
probably write the messages to a file:

    # tar -cvf - --ignore-failed-read --one-file-system / >/dev/null \
      2>/some/other/volume/tarfiles.txt

I don't happen to have any bad blocks to try this on.