Re: Network Manager doesn't play nice

On Tue, 2009-10-13 at 12:22 -0400, brian wrote:
> On 10/13/2009 12:11 PM, Frank Cox wrote:
> > On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 11:16:45 -0400
> > brian wrote:
> >
> >> Now, I had the file backed up anyway but I don't see any warning in the
> >> docs that it does this. Is it just me, or is this rather shoddy
> >> behaviour on NM's part?
> >
> > By default, NM sets up a "complete" Internet connection for you.  Part of that
> > is creating a resolv.conf file.
> >

> I understand that. The point I was trying to make is that it destroyed
> an existing file in the process. It's very simple to write software that
> avoids doing that.

But if it is setup to not recreate the resolv.conf (which you can change
I believe) then there would be a lot of complaints from people who
cannot figure out resolv.conf for themselves.

If I recall correctly you should be able to add PEERDNS=no to
your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX file (where X is the
interface number eg. eth0) and it shouldn't overwrite it.