Re: Can ISPs be trusted?

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 11:48:44PM +0500, gilpel@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > On 10/08/2009 01:27 PM, gilpel@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >> Most people trust their ISP, and rightly so, I suppose. But what if an
> >> ISP was a vilain? :) What kind of access would it have to its users'
> >> computers? Isn't it the same as a client connected to a server? The
> >> server being root, it has full access to the client.

> My problem is the following. I was playing with Thunderbird trying to
> filter messages so I could see only answers to my own posts. I saw that I
> had *one* with a reply header that I was sure I had never configured. I
> checked the headers and saw that accented letters for the title were
> written with the Windows 1252 charset. I only use 8859-1 in Thunderbird...
> I checked the message in my Sent box and it was exactly the same as the
> post on my nntp provider's server.
>
> Beginning DHCP transaction.
> Sep 30 13:19:25 localhost kernel: r8169: eth0: link up
> Sep 30 13:19:25 localhost kernel: r8169: eth0: link up
> Sep 30 13:19:25 localhost NetworkManager: <info>  dhclient started with
> pid 2097
> Sep 30 13:19:25 localhost NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (eth0) Stage
> 3 of 5 (IP Configure Start) complete.
> Sep 30 13:19:25 localhost dhclient: Internet Systems Consortium DHCP
> Client 4.1.0p1
> Sep 30 13:19:25 localhost dhclient: Copyright 2004-2009 Internet Systems
> Consortium.
> Sep 30 13:19:25 localhost dhclient: All rights reserved.
> Sep 30 13:19:25 localhost dhclient: For info, please visit
> http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/
> Sep 30 13:19:25 localhost dhclient:
> Sep 30 13:19:25 localhost NetworkManager: <info>  DHCP: device eth0 state
> changed (null) -> preinit
> Sep 30 13:19:25 localhost dhclient: Listening on LPF/eth0/00:24:1d:2e:11:88
> Sep 30 13:19:25 localhost dhclient: Sending on   LPF/eth0/00:24:1d:2e:11:88
> Sep 30 13:19:25 localhost dhclient: Sending on   Socket/fallback

Most ISPs can be trusted!

As I look at this thread history and your log I suspect but cannot fully verify that
all you are seeing is a side effect of DHCP or Thunderbird.

Some users may may be seeing two layers of DHCP.. further complicating things.
DHCP can set a long list of things from timezone to hostname lots more ending
with an IP address.

You can look at your distro documentation or the URL in your log file
"http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/"; to see what hooks DHCP has to setup
a system.  DHCP is run early and is designed to change some things as root.
You can configure the client to ignore, override etc most of them.

Another external input is the mail message that Thunderbird is replying to.
In general a graphical email tool will transparently pick up the character set
of the message you reply to.  Some HTML/XML/RichText messages can have multiple
character sets in a message that includes previous messages in this and that
language/ character set.   The most common reply hook is to "reply in kind".  If you
send me html mail I would assume that you are OK with HTML and if you reply to
a 'text' email then a reply in the same 'text' mode is apropos.

Also mail transport agents are getting character set aware.   In a global world
host names and  user names used for email delivery  are no longer restricted to
the classic 7bit ASCII character set.   Depending on the email message
structure you may see interesting things in Mail headers or MIME attachment headers.

I said "Most ISPs can be trusted!" while true is still subject to the
normal problems of individuals exceeding their limits and bounds.
Further ISPs AND their employees can be subject to pressures from
all ends, legal and not legal.   Because of this it makes sense
to exercise caution.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Found me a new hat, now what?