Re: Printing considered hard?

On Fri, 2009-10-09 at 17:57 +0200, Christoph Höger wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 08.10.2009, 16:06 -0500 schrieb Aaron Konstam:
> > On Thu, 2009-10-08 at 16:36 +0200, Christoph Höger wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I am sitting here in my new office and want to print from my fedora 11
> > > machine. Epic fail.
> > >
> > > I just had to add ServerName and Encryption to /cups/client.conf and the
> > > basic tools (lpr) work. But printing from firefox is impossible (print
> > > dlg. freezes) and setting up this config from the printer dialog is
> > > impossible to (connect to server shows the printers but everytime I
> > > select one I get a connection error without further information).
> > >
> > > How is one supposed to print in todays fedora?
> > >
> > > regards
> > >
> > > Christoph
> > If the client is on the same LAN as the server you should not have to
> > touch client.conf. Cups does not know the difference between lpr
> > printing and firefox printing so something sounds fishy, How about other
> > applications printing. If firefox is the only one that fails then the
> > problem is with firefox.
>
> It's not only firefox it is the whole Gtk/Gnome print subsystem. Every
> Gnome/Gtk App cannot print. Editing client.conf is a hack. And I guess
> it works without guarantee.
> --
You are making a case that something is wrong on your computer with the
Gtk/Gnome subsystem not with cups. cups takes a print message and causes
printing to occur. It does not ask the print message what program
generated it. Have your looked in the error_log and access_log
in /var/log/cups. What error messages are being generated.

Give us those messages and maybe your problem can be diagnosed.

Now you will notice inn the last few fedora versions client.conf which
used to be filled with potential configuration lines is now empty. This
is because cups functionality has changed significantly. So in most
cases client.conf can be ignored.