Re: Can ISPs be trusted?

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 14:12:32 -0400,
  "Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak" <mjc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Anyway, it is unlikely that your ISP is messing with you (has such a
> case ever been reported?), but it is technically possible.

I think what you mean is that your ISP is unlikely to be SPECIFICALLY messing
with you. If you have residential cable or dsl from the local duopoly they
are quite likely to be messing with you. They may provide DNS with bogus
TTLs, send RST packets intended to break bitorrent connections, throttle
traffic based on deep packet inspection rather than say, just volume, screw
things up with hidden proxies that make unwarranted assumptions about your
traffic, returning bogus DNS records instead of NXDOMAIN, changing inflight
http responses to insert ads, tracking or helping others track what websites
you use for marketting purposes.