Re: Novatel MC950D 3G-device in fedora 11

I have a problem with Fedora 10 and this device (MC950D).

Under Linpus (Fedora 8 derivative), I rebuilt the usbserial.ko module with standard USB serial support.

I then disable the network manager:

sudo service NetworkManager stop

because Acer modified it and it really doesn't do PPP (for their build). I then insert the MC950D, and it pops up the file manager (Thunar, on the Acer system). I then "eject" the CD-ROM presented by the device. After this is done, /dev/ttyUSB0 (and 1, 2 and 3) is created. I then use "gnome-ppp" to establish a link, and the device is functional.

After completing the link, I can stop gnome-ppp, and restart the network manager to put things back.

But...

With stock Fedora 10, the default hal seems to recognize the MC950D as a modem. Which is wrong! The initial USB code is 1410:5010 when it is a CD-ROM, and 1410:4400 when it is a modem.

The system does not recognize it as a CD-ROM, binds the usb-serial driver to 1410:5010, and then, of course ttyUSB0 is not functional.

I attempted to remove the 1410:5010 key from hal, but this didn't seem to help.

Running the usb_modeswitch simply hangs, and when canceled the ttyUSB0 device is gone as well. "eject" doesn't see it either.

Given that the code 1410:5010 DOESN'T work as a modem, leads me to suspect that this change was made without testing. Not that this matters much (it is an attempt to be more "automagic").

What I want:

Somehow to restore the functionality I had with Linpus!

To have the device respond even as a CD-ROM! From there, I can eject, and manually invoke wvdial if needed.

I don't see gnome-ppp in Fedora anymore -- I presume that that it has been superseded by something in the network manager. But, I have a functional wvdial script that I can use in case I can't figure that out.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Fred Weigel
TrekLogic

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=367984&topic_id=73786&forum=10#forumpost367984