Video conversion suggestions

 I'm looking for a solution to convert cell phone video files into
more common formats, such as MP4, MPG, or even FLV files. Even if I'm
going through multiple steps, that's fine. Right now my biggest hurdle
is starting at the beginning with the cell phone video format. I think
most of them are 3GP or MP4 formats. So the first step would be, how to
convert that file into something more common, using what tool?
   -- A