Re: F11 and CD Failure

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

> Note: /dev/cdrom does not work.  I tried this for both
> of my CD CD/DVD drives and I note that the devices
> respectively are: /dev/sr0 and /dev/sr1
>
> # mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/cdrom /media/cd
> mount: special device /dev/cdrom does not exist

These are normally symlinks created by udev. You may have to delete
the persistent CD rules file to have udev recreate the proper
symlinks when you reboot. (Or did they get rid of the file when I
was not looking?)

> But then again, on F9 (as I reported earlier), hal is able
> to recognize both of my drives and to automount and
> start the default audio CD application perfectly.
>
> So - something is wrong with F11's device handlers...
> or so I think.

Audio CDs do NOT get mounted. They do not have a file system on
them. What is supposed to happen is that HAL puts an icon on the
desktop indicating that you have an audio CD in the drive. It will
then launch the selected CD player/ripping program, launch a pop-up
asking what to do, or do nothing more if that is what you have
selected.

Instead of trying to mount the audio CD, try launching one of the CD
player or ripping programs. Without the /dev/cdrom symlink, you will
have to configure it to use /dev/sr0

Mikkel