Re: Viewing answers to one's nntp posts in Thunderbird

Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 08:14 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> However, it seems to me that the "problem" is...there may be a thread
>> started by one person (not you) and you reply to one post within that
>> thread and wish only to see messages related to your post within the
>> thread.  If that is it, then no there is no concept of "sub-treading".
>>
>> Frankly, there is simple solution to the "problem".
>>

> I've seen clients that could do that sort of thing fairly easily
> (probable Forte Inc's Agent, or it might have been Thule's Thor), there
> was a setting to automatically watch any replies to your own messages,
> then you'd read the "watched" messages.  You could watch any thread by
> hitting the W key on top of it, then it and all its children would be
> marked to be watched.

Actually, you may (sort of) be able to do it with TBird as well.

In the "Search" dialog you select "Customize" and create a new header of
"References".  You use that as your search criteria.  Now, the problem
with that is the "References" header only contains the domain name and
message-id of the first instance of a response by a responder.  So, it
may only be useful for someone such as myself with a unique domain
name.  :-)
> I dunno about doing it with Thunderbird, though.  I found it an
> appallingly crap usenet client.  I'd be looking for other solutions.

I'd be inclined to agree.  I don't have too much experience in using it
as such, however.

But, I haven't found any client that would eliminate viewing follow ups
that are OT...which I felt was one of the criteria of the OP.  :-) :-)

--
Martin was probably ripping them off. That's some family, isn't it?
Incest, prostitution, fanaticism, software. -- Charles Willeford, "Miami