Re: bash oom problem

you might consider piping your echo $w | xargs...

On 10/04/2009 02:42 AM, psmith wrote:
hi list, whilst trying to run this bash command

for w in {A..Z}{A..Z}{A..Z}{A..Z}{A..Z}{A..Z}{A..Z}{A..Z} ;do echo $w;done > wl1

on my aspire one (which is running rawhide) it kept crashing my system down with no reasons shown in any of the logs, so i tried it on my desktop machine which is an athlonx2 6000 with 2GB of ram and a raid0 array, with 2GB of swap and it too crashed the terminal but it did give me an error and it turned out to be an oom error so i tried upping the swap partition to 10GB and i'm still getting an oom crash, can anyone suggest a way of getting the command to dump the output to disk each time it gets close to running out of memory? or is this command always doomed to fail?

tia
phil

--
   jack craig